Would you like to receive our "Occasional Email Updates?"
An entry fee of $35 is non-refundable.* Entrants may submit a portfolio of between 1 and 10 drawings, including detail images. The entry fee must accompany your submissions through CaFE and can be paid only by credit card, or pre-paid credit card.
*The Artist for Artists Project supports all aspects of the Williams Prize in Drawing for Emerging Artists competition with the nominal entry fees we charge. From each artist comes a fee that helps provide for the prizes and annual Winners' Catalog, as well as helping to generally promote the work of the finalists chosen by the juror. It is for this reason that all entry fees are non-refundable. Please know that your entry fee is helping to encourage and further the work of fellow emerging artists.
1. Entrants must by 18 years of age or older to apply, and currently residing in the United States. "Emerging artists" are those artists who self-identify as "emerging" rather than "mid-career" or "established" artists. Applicants may be recent graduates or currently enrolled in any BFA or MFA degree-granting art school in the United States, working in an "atelier" school, working independently on their art without any institutional affiliation, or even working in some teaching capacity. There are no upper age limits for artists. The Artist for Artists Project is specificallly looking for artists that do not have gallery representation.
2. Drawings should be no larger than 42"x60." (Shipping containers cannot exceed 48"x36"x6" for artwork-mirror cartons, or 60"x8" for mailing tubes.)
3. We seek current work. Drawings need to have been completed independently within the past two years (i.e. 2013-present).
4. Drawing tools, as well as the artist's methods and process, need to be explained in the artist's statement, if less obvious than pencil and paper.
5. Please, no digitally created or enhanced art.
6. We welcome artists who have submitted entries in prior years to the Williams Prize in Drawing for Emerging Artists competition, however, please read our GUIDELINES.
Calendar of Dates for Artists:
(Any changes to this calendar will be updated here.)
February 1, 2015: 2015 Williams Prize in Drawing for Emerging Artists competition opens
March 31, 2015: Deadline for submissions. Submissions will be accepted via CaFE until 11:59PM (Mountain Time), according to the CaFE clock.
April 1-30, 2015: First Round of jury - Review of all submissions.
May 5, 2015: The finalists will be notified via email on or before May 5, 2015. Announcement of the finalists and digital images of their drawings will be posted on this website.
May 19, 2015: Finalists' submission deadline. Shipped artwork from finalists must arrive at The Artist for Artists Project for the Juror's Second Review. (Artwork not received by this delivery date may be withdrawn from the Juror's Second Review and the artist may forfeit their position as a potential winner, any monetary award associated with a prize, and their inclusion in the 2015 Winners' Catalog.)
May 30, 2015: Award winners and finalists will be announced. All award winners and finalists will be notified by email, and after notification, the prize winners and finalists will be announced on this website. Award checks will be mailed to the postal addresses given by each artist in the original CaFE submission form. Award checks should be mailed within two weeks after the prize winners are announced and should be received by the prize-winning artists by June 30, 2015.
June 2015: Photography and return of drawings begins. All drawings chosen for the 2015 Winners' Catalog will be photographed by The Artist for Artists Project's photographer. The return of the drawings to the artists will continue as the work is photographed.
July 2015: All drawings will have been photographed and returned to artists no later than the middle of July. Layout for the 2015 WInners' Catalog begins.
August - December 2015: Winners' Catalog in production.
January-February 2016: Catalogs are shipped to participating artists sometime in early 2016.